jueves, 30 de octubre de 2014

Future Tense

Future Tense






English doesnt have a "future tense", but uses a variety of forms to talk about the future. The choice of form often depends on whether we are making a prediction, expresing and intention or talking about anarragement.









1) 
Going to → Personal intention; intention regardless to what others think and the circumstances. May be altered by external factors.


- “I´m going to stop by by sister´s tomorrow night.” → she doesn't know
-”I´m going to drink coffee.” → no coffee → “ok, I´ll drink tea.”


  • Present Continuous → Future arrangement/plan ti which you have to act accordingly because there are people involved/actions that have taken place(bought the tickets) or are taking place(have everything changed for it) which tie you down, not allowing you to step out so easily.


- “I'm stopping by sister´s tomorrow night.” → she'll be waiting for her.
- “I´m going to the game next Sunday.” → Tickets have been bought


  • Will → willingness (modality in that “will”)
      →  decision made at the time of speaking


- “I'll set the table, don't worry”   - “I will pass the exams.”


- “I´m arriving at six and first thing I´ll do is take a nap.”


2)
  • Future continuous ( will + be + -ing ) Action in progress in the future for a specific amount of time.


- “Don't come between 8:00 and 11:00. I´ll be studying by then!”


  • Future Perfect( will + have + part.) → action completed by a sprecific time in the future (fut. time ref.)


- “By six o´clock I will have finished studying and be free to go to the cinema.”


3) PREDICTION


  • going to → prediction based on present evidence (Facts, feeling about sth)


“It´s going to rain! Look at the clouds!”
“She is going to have a baby” → she´s pregnant


  • will → prediction based on statistics/personal criteria/facts that will lead to future outcome.


“It´ll rain according to the forecast.”
“She´ll have a baby.” → plan, not pregnant yet.


4)
  •  Simple Present Use of time adverb to refer to future circumstances (as soon as)
“Let me know when you come
“Let me know when you will come” → indirect question, future action that hasnt happened yet. Request.

5) Timetable
  • Simple Present → part of schedule that you can´t change at will, decided on by authorities.
Present Continuous → change in timetable, temporary arrangement

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario